The Ohio State University Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Program provides intensive training in horticulture to interested Ohio residents who then volunteer their time assisting with educational programs and activities for Ohio residents through their local Ohio State University Extension county office.
Working with county Extension personnel, Master Gardener Volunteers provide such educational services to their communities as: answering gardening questions from the public; conducting plant clinics; gardening activities with children, senior citizens, or disabled persons; beautifying the community; developing community or demonstration gardens; and other horticultural activities.
- Integrated pest management (focuses on teaching and demonstrating IPM techniques in the garden and landscape)
- Invasive species (focuses on teaching our clientele about the potential damage that invasive species might cause to the environment, and managing/eradicating invasive species)
- Backyard and local foods (focuses on community gardens, local food councils/policies, urban agriculture/farms, and teaching and demonstrating how to grow vegetables)
- Environmental horticulture (focuses on a wide variety of horticulture programs including storm water management, rain gardens, good plant selection practices, demonstration gardens, and more)
How do I know if I'd make a good Master Gardener Volunteer?
You could qualify to be an Ohio Master Gardener if:
- You want to learn more about plants and gardening.
- You are eager to participate in a practical and intensive training program.
- You enjoy sharing your knowledge with others.
- You have the time to attend training and serve your community as a volunteer educator.
We are not currently accepting applications for the Summit County Master Gardener Volunteer program. We typically accept applications during a 2-3 month period before the next class begins. Check back in 2015 for more information.
To learn more about the Summit County Master Gardener Volunteer program, visit their website.